Traffic safety requires effective and efficient plans, programs, traffic regulations and preventive procedures to save people, properties and the national security.
Traffic safety pillars:
Vehicle, road and human factors.
First: The vehicle
The means of vehicle safety are:
- Tire: size, durability, speed rate, production year and storage.
- Lights: clarity, color and lighting level.
- Turning and alarming Signals.
- Mirrors: vehicle rear-view mirror that enables drivers to see the road behind them.
- Windshield wipers.
- Service brake and parking brake, which control vehicle movement.
- Shift Interlock.
- Sound and light warning indicators (on the dashboard) such as fuel, oil, temperature, speed and battery indicators.
- Safety belts.
- Children seats.
- Air bags.
Vehicle safety requirements:
- Spare tires and the tools used to remove and install them.
- Fire extinguisher.
- First aid kit.
- Rollover door locking systems.
- Fireproof furniture.
- Light reflecting triangle.
Realizing the vitality of vehicle Maintenance, the government put protective procedures to secure vehicle maintenance and prevent traffic accidents. The Vehicle Periodic Inspection aims to:
- Improve quality of vehicle maintenance.
- Minimize traffic accidents.
- Maximize vehicle's service life.
- Protect the environment.
- Keep road users safe including drivers, passengers, and the pedestrians.
- Discover problems before getting worse or causing loss (Early troubleshooting.)
Second: The road
Means of safety on road:
- Realizing the importance of roads, the Saudi Government constructed high quality networks of roads all over the country.
- Effective road design and structural plans.
- Road lighting.
- Road traffic safety procedures such as clearing natural obstacles such as dust and sand.
- Traffic control instruments such as traffic lights, warning signs, and road cat eyes.
- Vehicles weighing points between the Saudi governorates and cities.
Third: The driver
The driver is the most effective factor in the traffic operation; a good driver must have the following:
- Normal state of mind.
- Healthy senses.
- Good knowledge of and strict commitment to traffic rules and regulations.
- High concentration while driving.
- A strong sense of responsibility.
- Good knowledge of the vehicle mechanics and maintenance.
The driver's means of safety:
- Safety belt.
- Medical instruments such as eye glasses, first aid kit and airbags.
Procedures and rules of safe driving
1- Driver's duties before operating the engine:
- Have a look at the vehicle and check tires.
- Make sure that doors are closed.
- Adjust the driver's seat and the steering wheel.
- Fasten your belt and make sure that all passengers' belts are fastened.
- Adjust the vehicle rear-view mirrors.
- Notice the fuel and heat indicators on the dashboard.
2- Operating the engine
3- Moving the vehicle according to traffic laws and regulations
4- Stopping the vehicle:
- Look at the rear-view mirror that to see the road behind you.
- Start the stop signal.
- Decelerate gradually.
- Push the brakes slowly to stop the car.
- When the car stops, pull the hand brake.
5- Traffic signs and lights:
- Traffic warning, control and guidance signs.
- Horizontal and floor signs such as paints, illustrations and sidewalks.
- Traffic Lights.
- Traffic controls in work areas such as signs, cones, barrels, lightened arrows, flag carriers, etc.