Narcotics dealers' punishment according to Saudi law:
Saudi law of Narcotics control is enacted pursuant to the Royal Order No. 4/B/966 and dated 10/07/1407H.that includes the decision of the Senior Jurist Commission No. 138 dated 20/06/1407 H. and the ministerial resolution No. 11 for 1374H. Narcotics Control law differentiates between narcotics smugglers, dealers and user as follows:
The severest punishment, for those who are involved in smuggling narcotics and bringing narcotics in the kingdom is death. A person who imports narcotics from abroad is considered a "Smuggler" and also the person who receives narcotics and distributes them to the dealers.
The narcotics law differentiates between the person who deals in narcotics for the first time and the person who is convicted previously. For the first time offender, punishment is imprisonment, lashing or financial fine or all. For the repeat offenders, punishment is increased and the involved person may be sentenced to death.
Narcotics user is jailed for two years and punished according to the judge's decision. If the offender is a foreigner, he is deported from the Kingdom. A narcotics user who enrolls in a treatment Programme is not questioned, but admitted into a specialised hospital. Saudi law in accordance with the United Nation recommendations treats narcotics addicts as patients who need treatment.
Special Treatment for convicted students:
The law excludes students from punishment and limited it to disciplining and monitoring them; their guardian must commit to educate and guide them to make sure they are reformed. To benefit from this exclusion from punishment, the following conditions must be met:
- The age of the student must not exceed 20 years.
- Student must be dedicated for schooling.
- He should neither be a narcotics dealer nor a smuggler.
- The offender must not be connected any other crimes apart from using narcotic/drugs.
- Not convicted before for smuggling, dealing or using narcotics or any other criminal activities.
- Offence should not be associated with other ethical crimes.
- Crime should not be associated with any traffic accidents resulting in death or injuries.
- Student must not be a professional driver.
- The student has not resisted arrest.
The term of jail for student never exceeds three months or 50 lashes.