Vehicle, road and human factors.
First: The vehicle
The means of vehicle safety are:
- Tire: size, durability, speed rate, production year and storage.
- Lights: clarity, color and lighting level.
- Mirrors: vehicle rear-view mirror that enables drivers to see the road behind them.
- Windshield wipers.
- Service brake and parking brake, which control vehicle movement.
- Shift Interlock.
- Sound and light warning indicators (on the dashboard) such as fuel, oil, temperature, speed and battery indicators.
- Safety belts.
- Children seats.
- Air bags.
Vehicle safety requirements:
- Spare tires and the tools used to remove and install them.
- Fire extinguisher.
- First aid kit.
- Rollover door locking systems.
- Fireproof furniture.
- Light reflecting triangle.
Realizing the vitality of vehicle Maintenance, the government put protective procedures to secure vehicle maintenance and prevent traffic accidents. The Vehicle Periodic Inspection aims to:
- Improve quality of vehicle maintenance.
- Minimize traffic accidents.
- Maximize vehicle's service life.
- Protect the environment.
- Keep road users safe including drivers, passengers, and the pedestrians.
- Discover problems before getting worse or causing loss (Early troubleshooting.)
Second: The road
Means of safety on road:
- Realizing the importance of roads, the Saudi Government constructed high quality networks of roads all over the country.
- Effective road design and structural plans.
- Road lighting.
- Road traffic safety procedures such as clearing natural obstacles such as dust and sand.
- Traffic control instruments such as traffic lights, warning signs, and road cat eyes.
- Vehicles weighing points between the Saudi governorates and cities.
Third: The driver
The driver is the most effective factor in the traffic operation; a good driver must have the following:
- Normal state of mind.
- Healthy senses.
- Good knowledge of and strict commitment to traffic rules and regulations.
- High concentration while driving.
- A strong sense of responsibility.
- Good knowledge of the vehicle mechanics and maintenance.
The driver's means of safety:
- Safety belt.
- Medical instruments such as eye glasses, first aid kit and airbags.